At a Glance: The Los Alamos Public Schools
Current K-12 enrollment: 3,700
Mean SAT scores (Class of 1995 profile):
- Los Alamos: verbal, 560; math, 630
- New Mexico: verbal, 485; math, 530
- United States: verbal, 428; math, 482
Annual operating budget, 1995-96:
$24 million, about a third of which is from U.S. Department of Energy payments
Average per-pupil expenditure for operations, 1994-95:
- Los Alamos: $6,097
- New Mexico: $3,741
Average teacher salary, 1994-95:
- Los Alamos: $34,256*
- New Mexico: $28,288
- United States: $36,744
Enrollment in Advanced Placement courses, 1994-95:**
- Los Alamos: 728 out of 3,700 students
- Albuquerque: 791 out of roughly 90,000 students.
- (Albuquerque is the state's largest school district.)
Number of National Merit Scholarship finalists, 1994-95:
12 finalists out of nearly 300 seniors
Overall cost of living in Los Alamos is about 23 percent higher than the national average.
* Numbers do not reflect the exact number of students in AP courses because one student can take multiple AP courses.
SOURCES: Los Alamos school district; New Mexico education department.