The following are summaries of governors' budget requests for precollegiate education and final action by legislatures on education-related matters.
Governor: Bruce King (D)
FY 1995 state budget: $2.61 billion
FY 1995 K-12 budget: $1.22 billion
FY 1994 K-12 budget: $1.12 billion
Percent change K-12 budget: +8.9 percent
- The 1995 budget includes a pay raise for teachers of about 6 percent.
- Legislature set a minimum salary of $22,000 a year for teachers and $6 an hour for support staff.
- Legislature tabled a proposal to phase in full-day kindergarten.
Governor: Mike Lowry (D)
FY 1995 state budget: $8.36 billion
FY 1995 K-12 budget: $3.96 billion
FY 1994 K-12 budget $3.77 billion
Percent change K-12 budget: +5 percent
- Legislature passed a juvenile-violence law that tightens control of gun sales and pays for community networks to coordinate prevention programs.
- Another new law gives districts broad discretion in evaluating certified teachers who have received satisfactory reviews for at least four years.
- Lawmakers passed a law requiring districts to draft and implement sexual-harassment policies by June 1995.