The national board of Students Against Driving Drunk has decided not to accept financial contributions from the liquor industry.
The board of the Marlborough, Mass.-based organization, which fights youth alcohol abuse through some 25,000 school chapters nationwide, late last month reversed its earlier decision to accept a $100,000 donation from Anheuser-Busch Inc.
The organization did accept liquor-industry contributions throughout most of the 1980's, but ended the practice in 1989. However, it has a budget deficit totaling more than $700,000 over the past two fiscal years, which led the board to reconsider its policy.
In March, the board voted to accept the donation from Anheuser-Busch. But that action caused an internal furor, as some board members threatened to resign and a group of state SADD coordinators threatened to form a rival organization. The vote was inconsistent with the group's aim of fighting alcohol use and abuse among youths, they argued. (See Education Week, April 21, 1993.)
In a statement released last week, SADD announced a grassroots fund-raising campaign to help end its "funding crisis.'' The group also said its founder, Robert Anastas, who retired in 1991, agreed to give up a retirement package that included a $150,000 bonus.
The retirement agreement had drawn scrutiny in the Boston media in light of the organization's financial troubles.
A second 16-year-old now faces criminal charges in connection with a "points for sex'' game in Lakewood, Calif., that garnered national attention in March.
The charge--lewd and lascivious conduct with someone under the age of 14--is identical to that filed by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office against another 16-year-old two months ago, said James R. Hickey, the deputy district attorney in charge at the Los Padrinos juvenile court.
Both teenagers are alleged to have engaged in sexual misconduct with the same 10-year-old girl, who is now 11 years old, Mr. Hickey said.
He confirmed that both suspects are former Lakewood High School students.
Mr. Hickey declined to say whether the second suspect is a member of the Spur Posse, the loose-knit gang of male Lakewood High students who were the focus of the original investigation. (See Education Week, March 31, 1993.)
The members "kept score'' of their sexual conquests and each conquest earned a point, police said.
The practice drew national attention after nine Lakewood teenage boys, ages 14 to 18, were charged with a variety of sexual-misconduct counts. But the district attorney initially decided to prosecute only one suspect.
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has voted to provide enough money to keep the county's juvenile-detention camps open through June 30, officials said last week.
Nearly all of the 19 detention camps for juvenile felons in the county, as well as 11 of the 13 on-site schools that serve them, were expected to begin closing this month because the county could not afford to keep them open. (See Education Week, April 7, 1993.)
A bill that would provide enough money to secure the future of county-funded camps statewide is still making its way through the state legislature, said Rand Martin, a senior consultant to Assemblyman Terry B. Friedman, the bill's sponsor.
The Los Angeles County Office of Education, which is separately
funded, has adequate funds to keep the camp schools open, but the
schools cannot operate without the facilities to house them.