American History Grades 10-11 Goals
- Understand important features of the United States
- Explain the contradictions in the stated ideals of the United
States Constitution and the treatment and status of black people in
- Describe the concept of Federalism.
- Understand the formation of political parties in the United
- Understand the concept of judicial review.
- Know the major issues on which the Federalists and Republicans
- Demonstrate a knowledge of Manifest Destiny and its influence on
the Westward movement.
- Explain how the American economy changed between
- Understand that the profits from the slave trade and the institution of slavery helped to lay the economic foundation of the young nation.
- Understand the issues ofsectionalism.
- Know the causes and effects of the Civil War.
- Describe the major roles played by free and enslaved blacks
during the Civil War.
- Understand Amendments 13,14, and 15.
- Describe the era of Reconstruction and its significance in terms of segregation and discrimination of the Afro-American.
- Review the Civil War and Reconstruction
- Explain the political, economic, and social impact of the Industrial Revolution.