Published Online:

Federal News Roundup

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

The House Appropriations Committee has ignored a request from the Reagan Administration to delete $100 million in funding from the Labor Department's summer youth-employment program.

Instead, the panel voted to add $50 million to the program as part of an $11-billion supplemental appropriation designed to meet the additional funding needs of government agencies for the current fiscal year.

Earlier this year, the Administration proposed rolling back aid for summer jobs to its 1986 level. Labor Department officials said the program, authorized under the Job Training Partnership Act, still had not spent much of last year's allocation.

Although the Administration has said that youth employment and training are among its top domestic priorities, officials argue that any major increase in the JTPA budget should await Congressional action on a proposed new program for youths receiving welfare benefits.

According to House staff members, the Appropriations Committee's bill, approved late last month, would add 50,000 summer jobs to the program, bringing the total of low-income youths employed to a total of about 685,000.

The House proposal would also add $37.5 million to maternal- and child-health programs, and would, for the first time, allow private schools that charge more than $2,000 a year in tuition to participate in the federally subsidized school-lunch program.

While the House is likely to vote on the measure this week, the Senate is not expected to take up its version of the supplemental appropriation until after the Congress returns from its Easter recess.

Administration officials have objected strongly to the House bill for failing to provide some $5 billion they had sought for additional spending on defense and foreign aid.

To pay for those increases, the Administration had asked for deep rescissions in several education programs. Hardest hit by those retroactive cuts would have been the vocational-education program, which would have lost about $430- million. Those proposals, however, died when the Congress failed to act on them by March 15.

Web Only

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login | Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented