Published Online:

News Updates

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

Lt. Gov. Alfred B. DelBello of New York has announced the establishment of a statewide Council on Youth Suicide Prevention.

His decision to form the council was spurred by a rash of teen-age suicides in Putnam, Westchester, and Rockland counties recently, an aide to Mr. DelBello said. Since February, nine teen-agers from those counties have committed suicide. (See Education Week, June 6, 1984.)

The council, which will report to Gov. Mario Cuomo, will work this fall with the legislature and state agencies to develop suicide-prevention programs for use in schools.

The council is expected to seek $3.5 million from the legislature to fund programs that will provide training for educators, parents, and students in detecting the warning signs of a possible suicide attempt.


The Wake County (N.C.) School System did not violate federal regulations by using Chapter 1 funds during the 1983-84 school year to equalize services offered in all of its schools, according to a report prepared by the school system at the request of the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

The state requested the report after concluding in August that the school system had misused $490,000 in Chapter 1 funds during the past two years to pay basic-skills mathematics teachers who should have been paid with local revenue. (See Education Week, Sept. 5, 1984.)

The purpose of the new report was to investigate whether the school system also incorrectly used Chapter 1 funds to supplant rather than supplement existing school services. Under federal regulations, Chapter 1 funds cannot be used to offset a lack of local revenue.

Suzanne S. King, author of the report and assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction for the district, said her analysis found that Chapter 1 services were used to supplement children's education, as intended by law.

The local board of education is continuing its audit of the school system's Chapter 1 program for the 1982-83 and 1983-84 school years.


The San Jose (Calif.) Unified School District has put $6 million worth of school property up for sale in an effort to take the 32,000-student system out of bankruptcy.

A federal bankruptcy judge tentatively approved the sale plan last June; the district had declared bankruptcy in September 1983. (See Education Week, Sept. 7, 1983.)

"We have currently four pieces of property on the market," said Rich-ard Jackson, assistant superintendent in charge of operations and business for the district. "They should take care of the bankruptcy settlement over a period of three years ending in June 1987, the final date that the judge gave us to complete all obligations."

Of the money received from sale of the school district's properties, $3 million will be used to pay for employee salaries, Mr. Jackson explained. The balance of the money will go into such areas as deferred maintenance, school transportation, and data processing.

The properties--which have been advertised in newspapers and among local developers--include two vacant pieces of land reserved for future school sites, one piece of land with a portable school that was moved to another location, and a piece of land with a portable school that is being leased to a church. Interest has been expressed in all four properties, Mr. Jackson said.


John Clark Donahue, the founder and former artistic director of the internationally acclaimed Minneapolis Children's Theatre Company and School, pleaded guilty last week to three counts of second-degree criminal conduct involving the sexual abuse of three students in his home.

Mr. Donahue was arrested on those charges last April 18 and resigned from the theater in May. (See Education Week, May 2 and May 23, 1984.)

Mr. Donahue's guilty plea in Hennepin County District Court was the result of a plea bargain; under its terms, he would serve a year in the minimum-security county workhouse and remain on probation for 14 years thereafter.

The bargain--which relieved Mr. Donahue of the threat of a maximum penalty of two and a half years in prison--is subject to the approval of Judge Charles A. Porter Jr.

Web Only

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login | Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented