The Smithsonian’s History Explorer
A new multimedia search engine for teachers of American history, this site aims to integrate Smithsonian holdings into school lesson plans.
One search on the site, for instance, turned up a Buffalo Soldier uniform worn by an African-American soldier fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.
The Smithsonian says this project uses an applied-learning technique that emphasizes real-life objects to communicate a narrative of the American experience. The site also offers lesson plans and handouts to accompany a variety of history lessons.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Chemistry Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Italy
- Superintendent of Schools
- SAU #39, Multiple Locations
- Superintendent/Executive Director
- Special Education District of Lake County, Gages Lake, IL
- Assistant Coordinator 2, CTD (Evanston Campus)
- Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- K-12 Teacher
- TIE, Hyannis, MA