The Smithsonian’s History Explorer
A new multimedia search engine for teachers of American history, this site aims to integrate Smithsonian holdings into school lesson plans.
One search on the site, for instance, turned up a Buffalo Soldier uniform worn by an African-American soldier fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.
The Smithsonian says this project uses an applied-learning technique that emphasizes real-life objects to communicate a narrative of the American experience. The site also offers lesson plans and handouts to accompany a variety of history lessons.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Band Teacher
- The International Educator, Hong Kong
- K-12 Teacher
- TIE, Hyannis, MA
- Director, Governmental Relations
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, FL
- Middle School Science Teacher
- The International Educator, Ecuador
- Senior Practice Associate – K-12 Math
- The Education Trust, Washington, DC