The Smithsonian’s History Explorer
A new multimedia search engine for teachers of American history, this site aims to integrate Smithsonian holdings into school lesson plans.
One search on the site, for instance, turned up a Buffalo Soldier uniform worn by an African-American soldier fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.
The Smithsonian says this project uses an applied-learning technique that emphasizes real-life objects to communicate a narrative of the American experience. The site also offers lesson plans and handouts to accompany a variety of history lessons.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
- Illinois Association of School Boards, Springfield, IL
- Certified High School Teacher/Science
- School District of Marshfield, Marshfield, WI
- High School English Teacher
- StarShine Academy, AZ
- High School Chemistry Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Italy
- Middle School Band Teacher
- The International Educator, Hong Kong